The LA County Fair starts today and there is so much great food to eat and things to see. But we have to start with the food. I went to a fair preview last week and got to taste everything from fried butter to vegan tacos. This was my first time at the fair and the dishes did not disappoint.
The chicken and waffles on a stick pictured above was very good. The chicken was tender and well seasoned and the waffle was delicious. My favorite item, however, was the french toast bites stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, deep fried and then topped with syrup and whipped cream. It sounds like a lot, but it was amazing.
Here’s a glimpse of more of what was sampled. Most everything either involved bacon and/or was fried.
But there was something for the omnivores – Vegan Jackfruit Tacos. They were really tasty and I wouldn’t have guessed they were vegan.
I almost forgot the to mention the fried butter. It doesn’t look like fried butter and it doesn’t really taste like it either. It was more like a really buttery donut. For more information about food, drinks and tasting events, visit the LA County Fair Food and Drinks page.
I’m a little obsessed with the food, but there are so many other things to do at the LA County Fair. Here is a list of the new exhibits:
• Jurassic Planet – Thirty-five life-sized dinosaurs have escaped the Fairplex Bio-Research Facility and are terrorizing the Fair.
• Our Body – The Universe Within – This imagined “Bodies” exhibit of 200 uniquely preserved human specimens offers a vibrant, 3D view of our bodies usually reserved just for doctors.
• Let the Games Begin – This year’s immersive experience explores the origins and science of America’s “Big Six” sports – baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer and golf.
• The Igloo – Chill-out in our Arctic Village with Polar Ice Rink and Penguin Sled Run, and then come back after 6pm for an all-ages dance party with periodic snow storms.
• Watercolors – The Art of Flowers – Explore real-life re-creations of famous paintings, dramatic walk-through landscapes and classes taught by our onsite floral experts.
I was able to tour the Jurassic Planet and it was very unexpected. I’m from Tucson, Arizona so the fair to me means hot and dusty. I wore close-toed shoes because I thought there would be so much dirt. But the LA County Fair is much different. The Jurassic Planet area was shady, cool and on paved road. The dinosaurs themselves were fun to look at and listen to – they moved and roared. I think kids will get a kick out of it.
Also new this year is The Fairdevil, the official, star-spangled ambassador of Fair fun and the first new ambassador since 1948. There are also rides, a farm, shopping and concerts. Vanilla Ice, Kid N Play, Tone Loc and Young MC are playing in one show and Blondie is appearing with special guests the Smithereens! I can’t wait.
The LA County Fair runs from September 2 – 25, 2016. See the website for times and ticket prices.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. The Los Angeles County Fair compensated me for my time. All opinions are my own (especially that I like deep fried food stuffed with cream cheese).