This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything, once you click through, you will not be charged any additional fees, but we will be paid a commission by the advertiser. As an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting MomsLA.com.
We have just started to get excited about games in our house, and I think Shelby’s Snack Shack is a perfect first game for our collection, and yours. The game is simple to understand, even for my 3-year-old, yet all the aspects common in board games are there including losing a turn and having some of your bones taken away.
The adorable puppy makes the game concepts easy to explain to preschoolers so that losing some of your bones is ok. We played with two of my son’s friends, and the game went incredibly smoothly with all the kids patiently waiting for their turns and zero meltdowns over bone stealing or losing a turn. I was amazed! We’ve played this game nearly every day since we received it from Educational Insights to review and I highly recommend getting it for yourself.
The Shelby’s Snack Shack Game
- It’s for 2-4 players ages 4+, however, my 3-year-old and his friends love it too!
- The game comes with a colorful game board, 1 Shelby squeezer, 40 bones, 4 bowls, 1 double game spinner, and the instruction guide.
- The box is very sturdy and the lid contains the game board.
How to Play Shelby’s Snack Shack Game
- Spin the first spinner to determine your action — collect bones, lose a turn, Steal Bones from a friend, or lose bones to a sneaky seagull)
- Spin the second spinner to determine the number of bones you win or lose.
- Collect the most bones to win!
Why We Love Shelby’s Snack Shack Game
- I love the sturdy, colorful box that doubles as the game board and features a fun beach scene with Shelby and the sneaky seagulls.
- My son asks to play the game nearly every day. He loves everything from the cute pup to the little bones and is even excited about taking turns.
- It takes about 15 minutes to play which is perfect for his attention span.
- For a simple preschool game, Shelby’s Snack Shack is full of learning opportunities for your kids.
- Practice fine motor skills with the Shelby Squeezer
- “Bone up” on counting and number recognition.
- Practice taking turns.
- Learn how to manage disappointment when you lose bones or have them stolen from another player.
- Older kids can practice addition and subtraction as they add or take away bones from their bowls.
- Shelby’s Snack Shack is so fun you won’t know you’re learning all the things I mentioned above.