Updated for 2021
Summer means it’s time to get outside have fun. What better way to celebrate than taking the family to a movie under the stars? Parks, schools, museums – and even rooftops – are some of the great places to see outdoor movies in Los Angeles.
We’ve checked and updated the schedules, and we’ll keep checking all Summer to make sure this info is fresh.
There are pop-up drive-ins all over SoCal, and you can find their schedules here, too. Plus we are very excited about seeing movies sitting on a blanket or a beach chair.
But what if you’d rather stay indoors? No problem! We’ve got a great list of Bargain Movies showing at some of the theater chains this Summer, too. Like, the Regal Summer Movie Express, and the AMC Summer Movie Camp.
Wherever you catch a movie this Summer, we hope you’ll enjoy!
Outdoor Summer Movies in Los Angeles
Street Food Cinema makes going to the movies an event. During the pandemic they launched a pop-up Drive-in series, but they will begin showing movies for people to sit outside and watch again starting May 22nd. They offer a wide-range of movies, food trucks and live music (before the film), and community fun. This Summer, their locations include Will Rogers State park, and LA Historic State park, among others. Check the website for details about dates, films, locations, and to purchase tickets in advance. (Note that not all movies are family-friendly).
Here’s a partial Summer schedule:
- May 22: LA LA Land at LA Historic State Park
- June 19: Black Panther at Will Rogers and Dirty Dancing at LA Historic State Park
- June 26: The Sandlot at Brand Library and 500 Days of Summer at LA Historic State Park
- July 3: Grease at Victory Park and Jaws at Veterans Memorial Park
- July 10: Purple Rain at Verdugo Park, Mean Girls at Will Rogers, and Fight Club at LA Historic State Park
- July 17: Lion King at Westdrift Manhattan Beach
- July 24: Devil Wears Prada at Veteran’s Memorial Park and Pulp Fiction at Will Rogers
Parks After Dark
33 LA County Parks Locations all over SoCal
LA County is bringing back their popular FREE Summer movie and concert series at 33 area parks this Summer. With movies like “Scoob!”, “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Onward,” and “Sonic the Hedgehog,” you’re sure to have fun. The movie nights also include an arts and crafts activity, and health resources for all. Click over to see the event schedule for a park near you.
Click over to see the Summer Concerts all over SoCal.
Update: Rooftop Cinema Club will return to their Downtown LA location this Summer as well! Watch movies on a rooftop, in a comfortable deck chair, with state-of-the-art wireless headphones so nothing will distract you from that classic dialogue! This Summer, they are operating in El Segundo and also in Santa Monica – as a pop-up Drive-in. Click to get all the details and order tickets in advance. Note that they often show Double Features, so be sure to look at the showtimes before you purchase; the film you want to see may not begin until 11pm.
Rooftop is also offering special Family-Friendly Screenings this Summer: With the addition of a LED screen, RCC is adding Early screenings that start between 4 and 5 p.m. Every day they’re opening up their usually 18+ Rooftop venue to younger moviegoers for these Early screenings, so the whole family can enjoy a movie night under the sky. Be sure to select the “Kids and Teens” ticket for anyone under 18, and as always, RCC suggests checking out the film’s rating before making plans as ratings will vary. Tickets range from $13.50 on weekdays to $14.50 on weekends for anyone 17-and-under. RCC’s headphones are one size, so we recommend bringing children ages 5 and up to ensure they’re able to tune into the film.
Here’s a partial El Segundo Schedule:
- May 24: Beetlejuice and The Lost Boys
- May 25: Breakfast Club and True Romance
- May 26: Desperately Seeking Susan and Nightmare on Elm Street
- May 27: Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar and Above the Rim
- May 28: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Fifth Element
- May 29: 10 Things I Hate About You and Scream
- May 30: Selena and Wayne’s World
- June 4: Ratatouille and The Greatest Showman and It
- June 5: Up and Crazy, Stupid, Love and Drive
- June 6: Tom & Jerry and Bridesmaids
- June 7: Trolls World Tour and One Night in Miami
- June 8: Tom & Jerry and LA LA Land
- June 9: Tangled and Pulp Fiction and The Thing (1982)
- June 10: Scoob! and The Birdcage and The Wedding Singer
Here’s a partial Santa Monica Schedule:
- May 24: Dirty Dancing
- May 25: Citizen Kane and Reservoir Dogs
- May 27: 500 Days of Summer and Office Space
- May 28: The Fifth Element and 10 Things I Hate About You
- May 29: Aladdin and Candyman
- May 30: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Scream
- May 31: Iron Giant and House Party
- June 1: Stand By Me and Twister
- June 3: The Greatest Showman and Ghostbusters (1984)
- June 5: Tom & Jerry and Crazy, Stupid, Love
- June 7: Selena and Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
- June 8: Coming 2 America and The Craft
- June 9: 10 Things I Hate About You and High Fidelity
- June 10: The Goonies and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
- June 11: Tom & Jerry and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- June 12: Magic Mike and Friday
- June 13: The Sandlot and The Conjuring
- June 14: The Pineapple Express
- June 15: Jurassic Park and Old School
- June 16: Grease and The Thing (1982)
- June 17: The Notebook and Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Want to see a movie at a Classic SoCal Drive-in? Check out this list of great places.
Plaza West Covina
Summer Movie Night Flix Series
112 Plaza Drive, West Covina, CA 91790
To celebrate the major reopening trend across the country, Plaza West Covina—in partnership with the City of West Covina and sponsored by Regal Medical Group and Athens Services—is excited to announce its Summer Movie Night Flix Series, on the Roof of the parking garage. Attendees are asked to bring their own beach/lawn chairs and come ready to enjoy a night of family entertainment, games, and giveaways. Night Flix movie night dinner deals to be announced soon! Doors will open at 6pm and the movie will begin at 8pm or after the sun sets on. Note: An RSVP will be required for every family member that will attend the event on all dates you want to attend.
July 6 – Raya and the Last Dragon
July 13 – Crudes: The New Age
July 20 – Abominable
July 27 – Onward
Catalina Island Museum
First Friday Films
Catalina Island Museum is thrilled to announce the return of its First Friday Films starting July 2 with the cult classic Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Taking place on the first Friday of every month through November, the Museum will screen popular films under the stars in the outdoor Ackerman Family Amphitheater. The rest of the season: The Princess Bride on August 6, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian on September 3, Titanic on October 1, and Edward Scissorhands on November 5. A variety of movie snacks along with wine and beer will be available for purchase. Tickets to First Friday Films are $12 per person and can be purchased online in advance.
Poolside Dinner and a Movie at JW Marriott LA Live
900 West Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles 90015
Sit poolside on the roof deck of this downtown hotel and enjoy an evening! Your ticket includes an appetizer and entrée, as well as unlimited popcorn, with a full bar available at additional cost. Valet parking available at the hotel. Doors open at 7pm and showtime is 8pm in May; in June those times shift 1/2 hour later. Note that not all titles are suitable for all ages. July dates and films to be announced. Schedule:
- May 22: Captain America: First Avenger
- June 6: Promising Young Woman
- June 13: Captain America: Winter Soldier
- June 20: My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Hollywood Forever Cemetery
6000 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90038
Hollywood Forever Cemetery is a memorable location to enjoy an outdoor movie, and Cinespia also screens films at historic theaters around LA. Audiences enjoy pre-show fun including DJs, themed photo booths, and don’t forget to bring a picnic. They are kicking off the 2021 Season on June 26th with a screening of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Check their website and social channels for updates on the rest of the Summer. (Note, not all movies are family-friendly).
PCH Movies and Moonlight
2nd & PCH, E 2nd St & Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach 90803
PCH Movies & Moonlight returns on Thursday, May 20th at sunset with a special feature of The Secret Life of Pets in partnership with bark! bark!. Movies are complimentary to the community; self-seating will be available on a first come first serve basis. Guests are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. 2ND & PCH offers an array of restaurants, retailers and specialty services within the center for the community to enjoy before, during or after the movie.
Marina Drive-in Movie Nights
Parking Lot #2/Boat Launch, 13477 Fiji Way, Marina del Rey 90292
Marina Drive-In Movies returns for a summer series in mid-June through early September. Movies will play every Friday and Saturday night at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 per car and parking is first-come, first-served. Stay tuned for the movie line-up!
Melrose Rooftop Theatre
603 N. La Cienega Blvd., West Hollywood 90069
A unique outdoor cinema experience nestled in the heart of West Hollywood’s fashion and design precinct. The Melrose Rooftop Theatre is attached to the property occupied by E.P. & L.P. and the entry is via the lobby at 603 N La Cienega Boulevard, West Hollywood. The Theatre is showing cult classic movies and new releases alike. The cinema utilizes wireless technology with individual headsets provided to guests to maximize the cinema experience. They’re offering a dinner and cocktail option as well! Partial Schedule below:
- July 4: Dirty Dancing
- July 5: The Goonies
- July 6: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- July 7: Thelma and Louise
- July 8: Big Lebowski
- July 9: The Fifth Element
- July 10: 10 Things I Hate About You
- July 11: Coming to America
- July 12: Love, Actually
Related: 13 Movies Set in Los Angeles
This terrific Summer movie company has announced they will not operate in 2021, but promises to bring their outdoor movies, music, and food truck experience back in 2022. Stay tuned!
Bargain Summer Movies Indoors at Theater Chains
Back for 2021! The Regal Theater chain hosts their Summer Movie Express where they show family-friendly movies for $1 every Tuesday and Wednesday, all Summer long. Check the website to see the schedule and the participating local theaters.
The 2021 schedule:
- May 25 + 26: Teen Titans Go! To The Movies and Wonder Park
- June 1 + 2: Smurfs: The Lost Village and A Dog’s Way Home
- June 8 + 9: Smallfoot and Playing with Fire
- June 15 + 16: Lego Movie and Storks
- June 22 + 23: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and The Emoji Movie
- June 29 + 30: Pokemon Detective Pikachu and The Lego Batman Movie
- July 6 + 7: The Croods: A New Age and Muppet Movie
- July 13 + 14: Lego Ninjago Movie and Trolls World Tour
- July 20 + 21: Sonic the Hedgehog and Sing
- July 27 + 28: Spider-man Into the Spiderverse and Angry Birds Movie 2
- August 3 + 4: Lego Movie 2 and Minions
- August 10 + 11: Kung Fu Panda and Despicable Me
- August 17 + 18: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World and Madagascar
- August 24 + 25: Goosebumps and Dora: The Lost City of Gold
- August 31 + September 1: The Secret Life of Pets and Dolittle
- September 7 + 8: Teen Titans Go! To The Movies and Wonder Park
Back again for Summer 2021, AMC Theaters shows kid-friendly movies on Wednesdays during the Summer, and your kid gets a ticket and a KidsPack for only $4! Check to be sure there are participating theaters near you – and to check the movie schedule.
2021 Summer Schedule includes:
- Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
- Peter Rabbit
- Teen Titans Go! To The Movies
- Wonder Park
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- The House with a Clock in its Walls
MomsLA is your source for Things to do with Kids in Los Angeles.